Insight from the leading edge
of sample-size beauty
The pro: Jamie Johns, senior skincare merchant, Birchbox
Travel cred: Johns, who oversees the skincare division for a company that made its name peddling TSA-friendly beauty products, travels a few times a year for work and several more for personal trips. The past year has taken her to Spain, and to South Korea for a K-beauty conference.
In-flight beauty ritual: “If it’s anything longer than a five-hour flight, I try to wipe off my makeup with a cleansing wipe, mist my face, and apply a hydrating mask because the air is so dry. I always bring my own bottle of water as well, because you never get enough water from the flight crew.”
I never leave home without: “I take the following when I’m traveling, but honestly, you’ll find them in my bag any time.”
- A long book. “On my most recent trip, it was The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.”
- My iPod. “Yes, I still use an iPod. I need to have every recording by Black Sabbath available to listen to at any given moment.”
- “As a senior skincare merchant and a very pale person, SPF is key. It’s the best antiaging tool in your beauty regimen, and nothing ruins a vacation like a horrible peeling sunburn.”
- A notebook. “I have a travel notebook where I keep a list of what I want to see, eat, and do, with plenty of backup options. I’m type A to a fault, even on vacation.”
You should always leave home without: “Full-size anything. It’s
unnecessary and weighs down your luggage.”
If I could take only five products on a trip:
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- Eve Lom Cleanser, for the perfect cleanse at night.
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream, for the right amount of hydration in any climate.
- Shu Uemura Art of Hair Color Lustre Cool Blonde Shade Reviving Balm, to keep my platinum hair super icy.
- Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45, for coverage and an extra dose of SPF.
My perfect in-flight amenity kit:
- A S’well bottle, for extra water.
- Acure Organics Coconut & Argan Oil Cleansing Towelettes.
- Avène Thermal Spring Water, to mist and hydrate my face.
- Jart+ Vital Hydra Solution Sheet Mask, to infuse my skin with hydration.
My Ultimate $100 travel kit:
“This focuses on skincare because skin is the foundation of any great beauty routine.”
- Wilma Schumann Hydrating Collagen Eye Pads help de-puff and hydrate your eyes after a long flight.
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream 1.7oz is a perfect day and night moisturizer. I also apply this close to the eyes as an impromptu eye cream.
- Kiehl’s Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash – 2.5 oz.
- Acure Organics Coconut & Argan Oil Cleansing Towelettes to remove stubborn makeup before you cleanse.
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 – 1 oz. is an amazing travel-size version of their Defense Refresh setting mist. I use this over my makeup throughout the day to keep my face protected from the sun.
- derma e Purifying 2-in-1 Charcoal Mask. If you’re like me and tend to feel gross after a flight, this mask and scrub in one is perfect. It’s full of charcoal, which detoxifies the skin and leaves it feeling squeaky clean.
Top Photo: Nova Aleksandra/Getty Images.
The post The Ultimate $100 Travel Beauty Kit appeared first on The Virtuoso Life.